John Menzies February 10th, 2011
I made some progress in the Menzies line of my family tree!
Things that match up:
- Age: This puts his birthdate at around 1805, which is what I’ve seen across all records so far.
- Occupation: Sawyer. John was listed as a Sawyer when they lived in Liverpool.
- Birthplace: John was indeed born in Scotland.
- Year of Immigration: This lines of perfectly with what I found in the ship manifest.
- Place of Death: Fits in with the area where John was living with his son, Alexander.
- Place of Burial: This cemetery is close to the cemetery I have to visit in Brooklyn. After looking on the website, I was even able to get a plot number!
I do wish that it had his parents names on here, but beggars can’t be choosers! I have a tentative set of Menzies in the Scotland parish records on FamilySearch that I’ve found and think is John’s parents and siblings. It would have nice to have known, but I’ll just keep digging!
This entry was posted on Thursday, February 10th, 2011 at 2:10 pm and is filed under All Posts, Families, Genealogy Hoarding, Menzies Family, Misadventures of a Genealogist. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.