This week’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun assignment is to list my matrilineal line.
- List your matrilineal line – your mother, her mother, etc. back to the first identifiable mother. Note: this line is how your mitochondrial DNA was passed to you!
- Tell us if you have had your mitochondrial DNA tested, and if so, which Haplogroup you are in.
- Post your responses on your own blog post, in Comments to this blog post, or in a Status line on Facebook or in your Stream at Google Plus.
- If you have done this before, please do your father’s matrilineal line, or your grandfather’s matrilineal line, or your spouse’s matriliuneal line.
- Does this list spur you to find distant cousins that might share one of your matrilineal lines?
- Emogene Taylor (1929-2005) married to (1) Stanley Lee Mays (2) Harley Wayne Utter
- Lula Applegate (1901-1978) married to Marshall Howard Taylor
- Elizabeth West (1868-1938) married to (1) Unknown (2) James William Applegate
- Zeroah Black (1837-?) married to Isaiah West
There is actually a bit of a controversy for Elizabeth West’s mother. There are a lot of online trees that show Isaiah West marrying Zerelda Jane McClanahan. There is even a Kentucky marriage record for this fact. However, all of Isaiah’s children list Zeroah Black as their mother on the death certificates. Also, the marriage record shows the marriage as happening 10 years before I estimated it from different sources. So for now I’m on hold with the West family until I can sit down and timeline the family so I can find out where I can attack it from next.
I haven’t had my DNA tested but I plan to once I finish the family file cleanup. I’m fascinated by the process and would love to see what kind of results I would get.
I’m always on the lookout for distant cousins! No extra spurring needed!