It’s time to fess up and let you know how I’m going in my genealogy goals for the year.
Personal Genealogy Files Goals
- I want to finally finish re-organizing my ‘To Be Sorted’ folders on my second hard drive. Right now I have a folder of Mays photos, a folder of Moore photos, a folder of scanned photos and a folder of tombstones to be sorted into my 2010 filing system. (Hopefully it’s my final filing system!) I’m making progress. I’ve still got a lot to go though. I think I’ve gotten all the Moores taken care of and I’m just waiting on ID numbers on some tombstones for the Mays Tombstone section. So as I make progress on my other goal, this one will get taken care of.
- I want to have the whole Mays side of my family entered into my website and both FTM and RootsMagic. This is a big feat, since I’m behind on my RootsMagic work and there are a lot of Mays family members. My Roots Magic file leaves a lot to be desired right now. I’ve started focusing on my Family Tree Maker file. It’s a little difficult to keep two files going. Now that I’m forced to admit my laziness though, I’m going to make more of an effort because I do want to have a Roots Magic complete file.
Online Genealogy Goals
- Order at least 4 microfilm from the Family History Center. I’m hoping for one a quarter. I keep talking myself out of it because I want to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak. Enough of that! Time to get on with it! I haven’t ordered any. I have no excuse for myself. I just haven’t bitten the bullet. Granted it’s been a little busy for me the last few months, but I should have made a bigger effort on this one.
Record Ordering Goals
- I want to obtain the marriage certificate for William and Llewellyn. (I have notations of the date in Llewellyn’s records and a newspaper announcement, but I would like a copy of the actual certificate)
- I would like to find the death certificate of Robert J Moore. (Brooklyn has no record of his death in 1925, so my next search would be Caldwell, NJ)
- I have a copy of Llewellyn‘s birth certificate but it might be in New York at my Aunt Diane’s house. I’ll have to ask Uncle Chris about it in July.
- Order death certificates for Lewis and Jennie Thorward.
- I haven’t ordered any of these records because I’m waiting until I go to New Jersey so it’ll be more cost effective for me. I’m not sure that I could get these records without actually being there in person. While I didn’t order the records above, I did order John Menzies DC. I’m also waiting on a marriage certificate for Josephine Doremus/George Yohn-Thorward and a death certificate for William R Parkins.
- BE MORE ORGANIZED! I ordered a copy of Elyse Doerflinger‘s Conquering the Paper Monster ebook and I plan to put it to use in the new year! With all that’s been going on in the last few months, I just haven’t had the time to touch my archives. I’m usually very good about starting and finishing big projects, it’s just I need a guideline sometimes. I’m soo much more organized. I chronicled my organization methods here.
- Don’t break the site! I’ve had a horrible habit of breaking the genealogy software on my website. Usually because I mess around with it too much. I think I’ve learned enough through trial and horrible errors to successfully keep this goal! I haven’t broken the website yet! It was a near thing shortly after the new year, but I quickly fixed the problem.